Do you want to be part of a cutting edge heritage institution? Would you like to join a dynamic and creative staff team who are committed to telling the story of forced removals in Cape Town and South Africa, and exploring contemporary legacies? If you are passionate about these issues and if you have the following skills, you should consider coming to work for the District Six Museum.
Purpose of job:
To take overall responsibility for the efficient running of the Museum’s financial function and maintain effective financial systems and policies
• Prepare the Museum’s annual and quarterly budgets
• Liaise with funders on financial matters
• Administer and report on the Museum’s finances to the Director, management team, board, funders and staff
• Administer the Museum’s payroll
• Maintain the Museum’s accounting system, including all reconciliations
• Monitor and manage the Museum’s cash flow and inter-account transfers
• Report on the Museum’s income and expenditure at organisational level and by project, funder and line item
• Administer petty cash on a daily basis
• Do the Museum’s banking, maintain bank signatories and follow up on bank queries
• Oversee the annual audit and ensure organisational readiness for the audit
• To ensure that the Museum complies with all the necessary regulations
• Play a leadership role as part of the Museum’s strategic management team
Education and Experience required:
Degree or Diploma in accounting or finance related field, or equivalent
A minimum of 8 years of experience in a finance-related position
3 years experience of working at a management level
Some experience in the non-profit or heritage sector will be a distinct advantage
Knowledge of participatory democracy and the South African political context. Experience in donor management, strategy development and financial management.
Knowledge of PASTEL accounting and payroll package is essential, as well as an advanced working knowledge of MS EXCEL.
• Demonstrate commitment to Museum’s values
• Valid driver’s licence
• Fundraising ability
• Political acumen
• Financial management experience
Send application with two written references for attention of Bonita Bennett, to firstname.lastname@example.org, or hand deliver to the Museum at 25A Buitenkant Street, Cape Town. Please note that faxed applications will not be accepted.
Closing date: Friday 18 March 2016