phefumla (breathe!) is a travelling exhibition of the artwork produced during the inaugural Open Forum residency at Stellenbosch University in October 2016. The artwork included in the exhibition is a combination of sculpture, photography, sound installation and documentary film. The exhibition education programme consists of a roundtable dialogue and workshop with student activists, art students, Open Forum artists and high school learners.
District Six Museum, Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education and The Goethe Institute.
- Sami Maseko, Perspective Gained, Live Performance + photographic documentation.
- Grace Peterson, Silencing Me, System!, Live Performance + photographic documentation.
- Retha Ferguson, Photographic prints x 5 A2.
- Stephanie Conradie, The Dustbin, A2 Digital Print + 100 pamphlets.
- Nicolene Burger, Flight, Sculpture (3x2m) + video projection.
- Isabel Mertz, Rust, 2 A5 Sketchbooks and metal plates x 3 + video projection.
- ITAP, Installation incl Sound, photographs, drawings, digital prints.
- YazeedKamaldien, FMF documentary.
- Vasiki: Mike Mavura + KhanyisileMbongwa, We Are the Beautiful Ones: Dreams and Secrets, sound Installation.
- Thato Phatlane, Chaos the Pursuit of Peace, Suspended paper Installation.
- Maria Garcia, Photographs x 9
- Tshepo Modiri, Photographs x 2
- Timothy Oduwole, Photographs x 2
phefumla! opens at the District Six Museum Homecoming Centre on Tuesday 25 April at 6pm and will be open to the public until 4 May. Opening hours are 9h00 – 16h00 every day except Sundays. Admission to the exhibition is free of charge.